You could have knocked Mrs Kentishtowner down with a feather. Really you could. For just the other day Cafe Renoir emerged with a chic new look, all Farrow and Ball taupes and Kentish Canteen je ne sais quoi. But is it just an X Factor impersonation of the real thing – or is it, um, Tulisa herself?
There, alas, we must reserve judgement as we have yet to taste the new menu. But we readily offer upturned thumbs to the rattan chairs, banquette seating and gently updated European vibe, engineered presumably to seduce the new French families in town. And just look at that terrace – what a charming spot to watch the passing ragbag of businessmen, young mums, students, hipsters, hoodies, pensioners, intellectual-types, builders and indie kids.
So here’s what Mrs Kentishtowner discovered this morning over her alfresco Americano (deliciously strong, £2), the dog amiably dozing at her feet:
* The coffee is a zillion times better than it used to be
* It’s now open open for dinner too (till 10pm)
* New Zealand white is just £17 a bottle
* There’s seabass, lamb shank and fillet steak on the menu (£10-£14)
* Not to mention the obligatory sharing plates (Mediterranean platter around £8)
* …and lots of healthy salads (£8)
So yes…it sounds a little like…the, um, Canteen.
But seriously, as far as we’re concerned, the more quality independent outlets on Kentish Town Road, the better. Oh, and if you’re one of those trail-blazing types who’s already been there done that, it’s your duty to let us know NOW.
Till next time, Adieu. Ciao bella. La vie en K-Ville, c’est magnifique!